Posted to alt.home.repair
Rain Rain is offline

Default GAS LAWN MOWER TAKES 100 PULLS TO TURN OVER

Why oh why do people not regularly service small power equipment??????
Do you drive your car for 5 years with no service? A gas engine is a
gas engine, regardless of size. On the bright side, it's a great way to
make money. Take a "broken" lawn mower/weedeater/whatever out of the
garbage, buy 20$ worth of parts, resell for two to three times as much.

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
It's a Scott Self Propelled Easy Start 6.25 HP somewhat
fancy for me.

I do smell gas when pulling, and it says to prime 3 times
and I prime 10, so I must be flooding. You know, if
three's good, isn't ten better? NO!

If reducing priming doesn't work, I will clean the spark
plug and be sure gas is getting through the line. I admit
I am very close to buying the starter spray.

I bet it's operator error!

Al Bundy wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in
oups.com:

My gas mower doesn't turn over without 100 pulls.

It's 5 years old never tuned or anything. Plus, I never drained out
the gas because I use it over the winter.

Do you think it's the spark plugs?

What can I do to remedy this pain in the butt and arm?

Can I service it myself?

If it's just a basic no feature mower, having someone else service it
could cost more than it's worth.

You need to determing first if it is getting spark and gas.

Prime or choke as usual, gas on full as usual then give it a bunch of
pulls. Take the plug out and see if it is wet.

If not wet: it's not getting gas. Take a straw and dip it in gas enough
to fill at least half way. Put finger over the end so it will hold the
gas when you remove the straw. Dump that gas right in the cylinder hole
where the plug goes. Put the plug back in and try to start it. Does it
kick or start for just a short period and stop?

If it is wet: then (for now) clean the plug with fine sandpaper. The gap
is what needs to be really clean. Was it ugly to start with? Connect the
wire to the top of the plug while it is out of the machine. Hold the
metal exterior base where you put the socket on to remove it against an
unpainted area of the engine. Use insulated handle pliers or you will get
zapped. Have a bud pull the starter one or two times. It will pull very
easlily with the plug out of the machine. You should see a small blue
spark in the plug gap. If you don't see spark then need to check if the
plug, coil wire or coil is NG.

If the plug was wet and you are getting spark, take the air filter off.
It's either made of paper or foam on the inside. Is it loaded up with
crud? Try and start it without the filter. If it starts and runs then
fine but don't use the machine without it on. You'll really clog up the
carb.

If you got the machine to run with the above, go get a new plug and air
filter. Take both with you. The new plug needs to be gapped before it is
installed. If the new air filter is foam, they usually recommend you
cover it in motor oil then squeeze out as much as possible. Also change
the oil.

There are other possibilities like water got into gas, gas cap vent
blocked, etc but the above will at least get you started with some
direction.