Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default leaky deck

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:

The arrangement of a deck over a living space is one of the most
troublesome arrangements in current design practice. Experience on the
Carolina coast shows flashing to be the more usual failure.
The most satisfactory fix is to expose the material intended to be
water proof; check integrity of the membrane and flashing; check slope
and drainage arrangements; work out a solution to the problems found;
rebuild as determined by exploration.

While we're on the topic...

I designed a house with a second floor covered deck over the kitchen.
EPDM membrane, floating sleepers, composite decking. What did the
contractor, a longtime friend of the owner, do? Omitted the sleepers
and screwed the decking down through the membrane. Hoo boy. Hundreds
of holes in what is supposed to be a waterproof membrane. He said,
"Don't worry. I'll squirt some silicone caulk in the predrilled
decking holes before screwing it down." I told the owner it's not a
question of if it will leak, but when, and you won't know until the
water reaches the kitchen ceiling. By that time you'll have some
serious rot. I'm also a long time friend of the owner and unfotunately
won't have the usual pleasure of telling him, "I told you so."

It amazes me that people think they can cut corners and still beat
water.

If he had room, what about a torch-down roof with those rubber pads on
top so you can safely walk on it?