Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Identify faucet stem brand/part name

I had a leak at the main shutoff valve coming into the house. It just seemed
to be leaking around the stem, but it was hard to tell. So I called the city
and $60 (this blows my mind) later they shut off my water. I went to Home
Depot to try and find a replacement stem, which was a futile effort. So I
ended up buying some new stem packing. This seems to have solved the
problem, as another $60 later I'm leak free. In hind sight, tightening the
packing nut might have solved my problem. But the Flax/graphite combo in the
packing nut seemed pretty dried out.

I'd like to have one of these on hand for future disasters, not to mention
my own T-Wrench (probably illegal). Given the speed with which the city
reacted to my original call, I'd hate to have water gushing into my
basement. (Finally the question) The valve is actually in an elbow that is
threaded on one end and slip on the other. The stem threads into the top of
the elbow. It is probably an 1.25" where it screws into the valve and only
has about 1/8" of thread. The valve is about 30 years old. What is this type
of valve called and who might the manufacturer be?