Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D. Greg D. is offline

Default Fire hazards with oil finishes

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:08:32 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Here's a couple:

1) Steel wool. Quite flammable (huge amount of surface area for thin wire).
I've heard of a few fires caused by the stuff catching a grinder spark.

2) Grinding both aluminum and steel on the same
grinding wheel can create thermite. This can cause the wheel to
explode. Lee Valley is a good contact for this - -they had an
article on their website about a specific occurrence.

Wow! This is something very interesting! Thank you very much.

I found the said article in the sharpening section of Lee Valley's
website.

Thank you very much,

Greg D.

Looking forward to your article (where will it appear?).

-- Andy Barss