Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

Default Sliding table saw question

I am looking to buy a combination machine with a sliding table. A major
difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones (if $7,000 can be
called cheap) is that the expensive ones have the sliding table right next
to the saw blade, while the cheap ones have an inch or two of fixed table
inbetween.

Obviously the closer the better, but in practice will it make a difference?

All the demonstrations have the panel up against a fence, and they push on
the wood. Why is that better than having the panel back against a fence and
pushing the fence. I am sure they know what they are doing, but it is
counter-intuitive.