Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default recycling tv's etc.

"GWB" wrote in message
news
A lot of what's on TV may be "hazardous waste," but I've never had a
problem getting rid of one. I put it on the curb and it disappears
long before the garbage men get to it. G

It's interesting that you are still able to do that, there. Over here now,
the eco-police in the form of the local council, would be liable to
prosecute you. Under laws that were brought in in 1990, but have only
started to be enforced since 1999, they can prosecute you for all sorts of
garbage related 'offences', including leaving trash out on the street on the
wrong collection day. My bin men come round at 7am, so everyone leaves their
garbage out the night before. Strictly speaking, this can now be declared
illegal, and subject to prosecution. A person was recently prosecuted, at a
cost of £6000, for putting out her rubbish a day early, because she was
going on holiday. In today's paper, there is a case of a man who has been
fined £100 plus another £100 in costs, because a piece of junk mail with his
name on it, was found in a bag designated as being for glass and tins only.
The guy was actually taking part in the scheme voluntarily, but as a result,
now has a criminal record, with all the job and travel-related implications
of that. There was not even any CCTV or witness evidence to support the case
and, despite the guy's insistence that he did not put the item in there,
because it was not even his bag, the court declared the case proved. So how
does nonsense like this encourage people to become more eco and recycle
friendly ?

Arfa