Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon Robert Gammon is offline

Default Energy Star Refirgerator?

Tony Hwang wrote:
Jethro wrote:
I priced 'Energy Star' refrigerators yesterday, and found a $200 (give
or take) difference in prices between them and like models not Energy
Star rated. It strikes me that it could take many years before any
savings on my electric bill would get me back the additional cost.

Opinions?

Thanks

Jethro

Hi,
Regardless of payback, if you can afford, you gotta get anything which
uses lesser energy. It's good for so many things.

60% efficient gas furnaces are now outlawed for sale in the USA. At
60% efficiency, I pay a total of no more than $250 (at today's gas
prices) to heat my house for the entire heating season. To go up to
80%on a new furnace has a payback period LONGER than the furnace's
expected lifetime. The only way to economically justify going to an 80%
furnace is to assume that gas prices will at least double over the
lifetime of the unit, and even then the payback is marginal.