Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Moving a light fixture with no ceiling access: ugly?

BallPeanScrewdriver wrote:
I "need" (as defined by wife, not me) to move a 1st floor light fixture
about 56 inches. OF COURSE it's across joists, and OF COURSE it's on
the 1st floor so I don't have access to it from above.

Is this as ugly a procedure as it seems like it must be, or are there
tools and/or techniques to make it less painful (primarily defined as
not messing up the ceiling byond the existing hold and the one I'll
need to make)? I am assuming I have to drill through all the joists
between the old and new locations, so some type of extended drill bit
seems like a bare minimum. But 20+ years of DIY home repair/remodel has
taught me others often know a "slick" way to do a given task, and I'm
hoping that's the case here (although the geometry and physics of the
problem certainly don't seem to leave much wiggle room for such a
solution).

Thanks in advance for your input!

-dave

Dave-

You've got a really tough situation.

If the ceiling is a smooth plaster or any kind of drywall finish this
is totally doable but not easy.

But first a few questions......

Does the original box / light installation point have to "disappear"?
or can the box merely be covered w/ a painted box cover?

In every joist bay cut an access hole (~6 - 8" ?) to allow a small
right angle drill

(If the joist depth is large enough you might get by with an access
hole in every other joist bay & long drill or drill extension
.........drill two joists from each access hole)

Fish your wire or conduit from the existing box to the location of the
new box

Install the new box & connect the wire from old to new.

If the box is going to support a heavy fixture, you'll have to make
sure it is securely fastened to a joist or to blocking that you install

Once the installation is complete, go back & repair the access holes.

Like I said, doable but a lot of work.

cheers
Bob