Posted to uk.d-i-y
dcbwhaley dcbwhaley is offline

Default Junction Boxes

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

A customer I was working for last week wants me to go back & move a light
fitting in their bungalow. Only needs to be moved by about 4 ft.

Haven't looked at the ceiling rose yet (very high ceiling), but whilst in
the loft I had a look at the 'back' of it and saw 4 x 1.5mm cables going to
it. None of them are long enough to reach the new location.

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4? As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

You don't say wether the switching is one way or two way. If it is
two way then you could have two triple&earth cables to the switches and
some choc-block in the rose to connect the strappers. That will need a
six terminal box

If it is one way then there could be one power in and two power outs.
That would need a four terminal box.