Posted to alt.home.repair
-zero -zero is offline

Default Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters...

wrote in message
l aws of physics. I didn't
write them, but we all must abide by them.

You better go back to the books then. The pressure at the output
end (the end that we are concerned with) of a flowing circuit can be
increased by a larger diameter pipe.

You're right if you're looking at the "pressure" ( force x mass )
of a physically larger output. Like trying to put your hand over a 1/2"
pipe @ 50 psig, vs. a 2" pipe @ 50 psig, to stop the flow.

However, psig (pounds per square inch gauge) is psig.

If you put a gauge on a 1" pipe , run 10 ft., then bell up to say 24",
add another gauge,
each gauge will read the same static pressure. At flow, it will behave as
it should with standard friction losses or Cv applied. No magical increase
in psig.

-zero