L. Peter Stacey

Default Spot Welder homebrew? Soldering gun?

While obviously welding a bandsaw blade is a better join Silver Soldering
can produce a satisfactory join, provided the preparation and soldering is
done correctly. When I first started Silver soldering I had several
failures, But now my joins are good enough to hold so that a break has been
in the blade steel not at the joint.
Made sure that the blade ends were chamfered appropriately I don't have a
jig (yet) but grind both ends together so that the angle is similar.
I Tin the chamfered ends first and then place the blade into a jig that
holds the blade in correct alignment, then I just heat the ends until the
tinned ends remelt and touch.
When the blade is cool I clean up the joint to make sure the joint thickness
is no more than normal blade thickness and that there is no step at the back
of the blade. The job is done! The hardest thing seems to be to get the
chamfer ground, but a jig will go a long way to making that easier.
Cheers, Peter.
,-._|\ L. Peter Stacey
/ Oz \ Melbourne Australia
\_,--.x/

"Mark" wrote in message
An old PM article uses a homebrew transformer similar to the one I
wound in 10th grade for my from-scratch soldering gun. A long time ago!

SNIPmy crappy Silver soldering has produced to date. SNIP Before I rush
out and buy a cheap soldering gun, has anyone done this
successfully?

Thanks / mark