Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jah213@gmail.com is offline

Default Need Kitchen Sink suggestions ?

Yup, you called that one right. It's a very dark gray-blue.

Jo Ann

Art wrote:
Is the Corian dark? I always bought white. Indeed scratches show up in the
dark colors.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had white enamel on cast iron in many homes with no problems.
Occasionally, in my well-traveled renter days, I would get an enamel on
cast iron sink that had a chip in the enamel, so apparently that can
happen, but I have never managed to chip one no matter what I dropped
on it, so don't know how the previous residents managed to pull that
off.

I have never had a problem with staining in any but the very oldest
ones, in which the enamel had been scratched and worn away over the
years, and even then I was usually able to remove staining with a
bleach soaking. Rust staining could be a problem, but if you take the
usual care to avoid it (don't leave SOS pads on the sink, don't leave
damp cast iron or rust-prone metals in the sink, etc.), I don't see it
being a problem.

I've also had many stainless steel sinks and actually, based on my
experience, find them no harder and no easier to maintain -- just
different.

Currently, I have a bathroom sink made of Corian (the vanity top and
sink are one seamless piece) and have found it scratches readily. Not
big, deep gouges, but it takes more care than I would have expected
(based on Corian's advertising, having had no prior experience with it)
to avoid fine scratches. That's the one sink material I've had that I
wouldn't recommend.

Jo Ann

grinder wrote:
We are replacing kitchen sink with new drop-in, plain white but can't
decide which type of material to purchase. We want a sink that is
easy to clean and will resist scratches and marks.

We find several types of materials, all of which brag about their
great finish but would like opinions from actual users.

We have a RO unit so must have at least 5 holes cut in the sink for
connecting faucets etc. Can all materials be drilled for these
connections?

We have been told that enamel on cast iron is tough but will show a
mark whenever a pan is placed in the sink??

Other materials show less marks but are subject to scratches??

All opinions and help appreciated.