Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mike0219@yahoo.com is offline

Default Need help w/ new hot water heater

Okay - I'm finally making some kind of headway. I did put in the PVR
and everything went well, except I did get a slight leak from the T&P
overnight. This is consistent with Jim mentioning that I'll need an
expansion tank to go along with it. I plan to do that shortly. The
hardest problem is finding a place to keep the tank. I'll probably
have to somehow run a pipe from my tiny "heater room" area to a crawl
space. I'm assuming the expansion tank has to go between the PRV and
the HWH inlet? I put the PRV just before the HWH so my room is
limited, I'll have to move stuff around accordingly.

Thanks,

Mike

wrote:
I just went back to Home Depot and spoke to someone who knew what they
were doing this time! Apparently the last one I bought was a pressure
reducing valve for a boiler - NOT a hot water heater. That explains it
as they're not suppose to go beyond 15psi. Now I got a new PRV that's
a lot bigger and ranges from 50-75 PSI.. I'll hopefully get that in
tonight and follow up.

Thanks again for your help!

Mike

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
So after installing the pressure reducing valve (just above the water
inlet and without an expansion tank) the pressure in my upstairs is
unbearably low. I have the reducing valve turned in all the way and
set to allow for the highest pressure. Is it possible that the valves
come in ranges and perhaps I got the wrong one?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Screwed all the way in should produce 60psi or so,
more than enough (usually).

Get your pressure gauge out and connect somewhere
downstream of PRV. Perhaps a washing machine hookup.
See what the regulated pressure drops to when water
is used upstairs. Ideally, there will be little change.

Is it possible that a service valve is not fully open
somewhere, restricting flow?

Jim
PS Exp tank has no effect in this situation.