Posted to rec.woodworking
bigegg bigegg is offline

Default Plywood for utility trailer.

HerHusband wrote:
You can get pressure treated but I would think just
regular garden variety 3/4" A/C would work just fine.

I have an inexpensive utility trailer I bought about 17 years ago. At the
time, I just bolted on standard 3/4" AC plywood. 17 years later, and it
still looks and feels solid. Very worn and abused, but solid.

On the other hand, I had built some sides out of 1/2" CDX plywood and
2x4's. Because of the trailer size and the way the sides were constructed,
I had to take the sides off the trailer to carry plywood and other sheet
goods. So, the sides sat out on the ground a lot. It only took about 5
years for them to rot away to practically nothing.

So, I rebuilt the sides with PT lumber and 1/2" PT plywood. I also built
them in a way that let me permanently attach them and still be able to
carry sheetgoods. Another 12 years or so, and they still look like the day
I built them, except for the scratches and dings from carrying things.

The final and ultimate is PT 2x6 bolted on... they will
be there when the trailer is toast.

That's my plan when my 3/4" AC floor finally goes.

Anthony

I used 3/4 WBP for the floor in mine, and scrap garage doors for the
sides - 8ft of corrugated galvanised steel ready cut into 18in strips(?)

Bolted on with 1" roofing bolts.

Quite a bit more resilient and lighter than ply - useful in the UK since
max trailer weight (including load) on a standard car licence is 3300lbs
(1500kgs).

--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.