Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] noelogara@hotmail.com is offline

Default Noisy bolier flue

wrote:
I have recently had an oil-fired CH boiler installed in an outhouse
adjacent to the house.
The flue runs vertically up and thru' the roof about 12 feet or so
high.
Unfortunately, it's very noisy. It seems that the boiler's fan and the
burner resonate with the flue so that it amplifies the noise to the
discomfort of our reasonable neighbours. It emits a loud low rumble
which is a tad annoying first thing in the morning. It is an
exceptionally quiet location so the noise can be heard a long way off.

I am wondering if wrapping the flue with a layer of something which
won't catch fire such as
loft insulation glass wool would help damp the sound. The flue gets
quite hot so whatever I do has to use something that won't burn.

Has anyone had this problem?
Solutions?

Is it a tin roof? Most of the noise is probably coming from the boiler.
Try insulating the roof of the outhouse and the door which should be
well sealed and of course any window.
put a seal of heat sealant around the pipe where it exits the roof to
stop those sound vibrations.
If you had a few fire resistant sheets to put around the boiler itself
that would help greatly.