Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Habeas Corpus is no longer

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Nixon, who you categorize as slimey, opened access to Red China and
ended the Viet Nam war, yet he is villified for trying to jack with
the Democrats. Oh well.

Maybe I was hallucinating, but I seem to recall our embassy staff
being hustled off a rooftop in a helicopter. Nixon had no choice but
to end the war.

You don't remember too well.

Nixon ended the war with a peace treaty (in 1973 which earned Nobel
Prizes for Kissinger and the North Vietnam representative). Our
embassy in Viet Nam was evacuated, and Saigon fell, on April 30,
1975, nine months into President Ford's administration. Most believe
South Vietnam fell because the Democrats passed the Foreign
Assistance Act of 1974 which cut off all funding to support the
South and effectively nullified the peace agreement worked out by
Nixon.

There are idiots in some newsgroups who think you can go forward
knowing nothing about history. This is why we failed in Vietnam, why
we will fail in Iraq, and why we are on the cusp of either failing
or succeeding in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Knowing "nothing" about history can be fixed. What cannot be fixed is
knowing something that is wrong.

Peace treaty in 1973. Saigon falls in 1975. Got it.

As far as fixing ignorance, you have seen that it is usually too
late. We're seeing it now in Iraq. Your president told the country "I
don't read much. Mostly newspapers." If your doctor told you that and
you had a brain in your head, you'd be out the door quickly.

Heh! Let's try to fix - or try to fix - some things that are wrong.
1. "I don't read much. Mostly newspapers" is unbelievable. I understand it
is the reverse.
2. We SAW, with our own eyes on national TV, Bush reading "My Pet Goat."
3. His wife is a librarian and reads enough for both.
4. Here's the president's summer reading list.
http://www.booktv.org/misc/081706_bush.asp

And a news article on the subject:
"White House aides say the president has read 60 books so far this year
(while the brainy Rove, to Bush's competitive delight, has racked up only
50). The commander in chief delved into three volumes in August alone-two on
Abraham Lincoln and, more surprising for a man of unambiguous convictions,
The Stranger, Albert Camus's existential tale of murder and alienation "
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/ar...presidency.htm

And as for knowledge of history, don't forget that President Bush has a BA
from Yale.

In history.

Which should put to rest the canard: "If you're a history major, this is the
only job you'll ever have."