Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need fence-installing advice

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi,

I would like to fence my yard for two smallish dogs. After getting
some heart-stopping estimates, I decided I would tackle it myself.
However, in talking to people about how to do it, I've become too
intimidated to try.

I would like to do a picket fence, probably using panels, 3 feet high.
I've been told it's absolutely critical that the posts be exactly the
same height, set in concrete at least 2 feet deep, perfectly squared,
must use several inches of gravel in the bottom, set up props and don't
touch them for days after pouring concrete, don't use the quickie
cement, etc. etc.

...snipped...

In general, no, it is not necessary to set the posts in concrete.
It depends to a great extent on what the soil is like in your area, or
your yard. The posts (assuming wooden 4X4) can be cut to height after
setting in the ground, so I don't see where the "exactly the same
height" is an issue. In fact, for some types of fencing a difference of
several inches or more wouldn't matter and might even be required
along sloped terrain, where the panels are "stepped" to match the
elevation. 2 feet deep should be quite adequate to support a 3 ft high
fence. You might be able to get away with somewhat less if the ground
in your area is suitable. I have 6 foot picket fence I put up around
my yard, using pressure treated 4X4 posts, 8 ft long. They are set in
the ground just a few inches more than 2 feet IIRC and hold the fence
up fine.

Best thing is to find someone in your area who has installed their own
fence and see what they did. If you've never done it yourself, read up
on it first or maybe you have a friend who has done it. The posts do
have to be plumb, though not "perfect" (what is?) and spaced on-center
correctly, most pre-made panels are 8 ft. Renting a post hole auger
makes things go a lot faster, but if you don't mind a workout it can
be done with a digging bar and/or post hole digger.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -