Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Query - How to roundover rounded ends?

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

Greetings! I haven't checked in, in quite a while - the "signal to noise"
ratio gets to be a bit much, and coming up with every possible permutation
of gutter words for the filters isn't my idea of fun...

That being said, I hope y'all will have me back and lend your advice toward
solving a problem.

I am making 30 notched sticks out of oak - 2 1/2" wide, 60" long and 1 1/8"
thick. All four edges (the long ones) have a 1/2" roundover - no
problem...

The hitch is that the ends of the sticks have a half-round profile (a radius
of 1 1/4") and then THAT radius needs a 1/2" roundover... I have my
roundover bit peeking through a "zero clearance" insert in my router fence,
but haven't figured out how to turn the sticks smoothly and consistently to
get a smooth roundover on the end radius. I will post some pictures of the
components over in abpw and hope that someone here can help me out.

I am wondering if I made some sort of jig that would pivot about the center
or something.....

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead
Lakeport

How about using a pattern and a half round bit with a bearing such as
the Freud 82-514:

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...f_Round_1.html

--
Jack Novak