Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Need fence-installing advice

wrote:
I would like to fence my yard for two smallish dogs. After getting
some heart-stopping estimates, I decided I would tackle it myself.
However, in talking to people about how to do it, I've become too
intimidated to try.

I would like to do a picket fence, probably using panels, 3 feet high.
Do I really have to set the posts in concrete? What's the risk (other

than having it look a little sloppy) if the posts aren't perfectly set?
Are panels a good choice? Is there a compelling argument against
using just any old panels? Is installing a fence really so tricky that
an inexperienced DIYer shouldn't even try?

Usually only the corner posts are set in mortar. the posts in-between
(line posts) can be set in soil or some well draining material. If the
posts aren't set accurately then your pre-made panels may not fit.
Panels are a good choice to save work but are probably more expensive.
For the purpose stated, I think any panels will do. A fence is is not
tricky from a carpentry viewpoint and worth a try. There is a lot of
maual labor involved however in digging the holes. A posthole digger
is usually used. If you can hire someone to dig the holes then you are
golden. Just mark their locations carefully and check the digging as
it progresses. an auger can be rented to make the digging go easier
but may also require a helper.