Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jah213@gmail.com is offline

Default Need fence-installing advice

Hi,

I would like to fence my yard for two smallish dogs. After getting
some heart-stopping estimates, I decided I would tackle it myself.
However, in talking to people about how to do it, I've become too
intimidated to try.

I would like to do a picket fence, probably using panels, 3 feet high.
I've been told it's absolutely critical that the posts be exactly the
same height, set in concrete at least 2 feet deep, perfectly squared,
must use several inches of gravel in the bottom, set up props and don't
touch them for days after pouring concrete, don't use the quickie
cement, etc. etc.

I've also been told not to go near HD or Lowe's vinyl panels, "they're
junk." But I'm only fencing in two small dogs, not pigs or a bull. It
doesn't need to be that sturdy and I don't even want it to be
permanent, although it needs to last for several years. I live in
town, so it has to look presentable, but I can't believe I have to hire
pros and spend $8K+ to get it to look nice.

Do I really have to set the posts in concrete? What's the risk (other
than having it look a little sloppy) if the posts aren't perfectly set?
Are panels a good choice? Is there a compelling argument against
using just any old panels? Is installing a fence really so tricky that
an inexperienced DIYer shouldn't even try?

Jo Ann