Posted to alt.home.repair
Holy Crikey Holy Crikey is offline

Default Best way to clean the caked up dust on silicone caulking

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:53:43 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Holy Crikey" wrote in message
.. .

I tried cleaning the dust off the silicone caulking on top of my
baseboards in my bathrooms and the normal dust cleaning with Swiffer
mitten doesn't seem to work at all. . . .
Has anyone found a good cleaning agent to effectively clean the caked
up dust found as mentioned above so as not to ruin the finish on the
baseboards and the paint on the wall, or an effective method?

Be advised that standard practice is to fasten baseboard
moulding to the wall by nails, not glue or caulk. That
way any dust can be removed from either wallpaper or
moulding by vacuum cleaning or a soft brush.

If for some unstated reason baseboard moulding had
to be fastened to the wall with some adhesive or filler
silicone caulk might be avoided as (a) unpaintable
and (b) likelier to attract dust than repel it.

Thanks for the advice, but the baseboards were indeed nailed using
finishing nails and a pneumatic nail gun. The silicone caulking was
use purely for esthetic purposes to give a nice smooth finished look.