Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] b13171@hotmail.com is offline

Default sunroom construction

Thanks That helps Liz

Tom G wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
We are thinking of selling our current home and purchasing another. Our
home now has a sunroom (enclosed with glass windows). We love this room
and use it often except in very hot Atlanta summer days and cold winter
days. Most of the homes we have looked at don't include this feature
and we are considering buying one without and having a sunroom added.
I have called some area construction firms who advertise sunporch
projects as well as PatioEnclosures, etc. They will not even give a
ballpark figure as to the cost of this type of room unless they first
see the home. I can understand their point, but does anyone know of an
approx figure per sq foot we could use just to see is this idea would
be feasible?We are speaking of something in the area of 15 x 15 with
windows on 3 sides and of course a nice door from one of the existing
rooms of the home. Thanks Liz

"They will not even give a ballpark figure as to the cost of this type of
room unless they first see the home."
I suspect that what they mean to say (but don't want to) is that they aren't
going to give you a figure over the phone that may scare you off or they
don't want to give you a figure without a salesman right there to pressure
you into signing on the dotted line. That being said, I had two bids for a
12 by 20...one ready made type unit and one stick built addition..they both
came in at $34,000. But that was in Northern Illinois and the stick built
unit contractor insisted on a "frost wall" foundation on three sides and
wouldn't use the existing cement slab. Called a contractor who had put in
such additions for two relatives (liked the work and recomendation was good)
and he's doing the job for $17,800 using the existing slab but letting it
float with the walls supported by cement pilings down below frost level.
Five 6' wide casement windows and one sliding patio door. Since slab is
actually 10 x 30, this unit will be longer but narrower and I already had a
patio door leading from the house onto the patio.

Tom G.