Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default tuf question

Goldenshuttle wrote:

I like Ur answer Dude.....It shows some guts...hey mew mew...grow up
Ancient_Hacker أرسلت:
Goldenshuttle wrote:
this question needs some strong electronics knowledge. Hope someone can
answer...
A guy bought a Toyota Lexus 300 , model 1995. The mileage reader is
digital, and showing that it moved only 55,000 miles. Later he found
out that the mileage was reduced, or reset to sell it at a good
price.....We know that these things happen, but how did they manipulate
a digital (not a mechanical) reader ???

Guess it depends where they keep that info. I'd guess in the car's
computer.

Easiest way: two years before you want to sell the car, Drive the car
to the dealer, then when nobody's watching, apply the HV power supply
from your underdash neons to the computer for a second. Now tell them
to replace the computer under warranty.

A little harder: go to a junkyard, find a Lexus with low mileage, buy
the computer.

A little harder yet: Buy the service manual for the car computer, see
if there's a setup option for setting the mileage.

A little harder yet: Open up the computer, disassemble the rom to
find out where they keep the mileage.

or they just buy the setup on ebay:
item # 130031160644 for example.

When buying a car, I normally look at the gear stick, steering wheel and
pedals, if they are all brand new I am suspicious, but otherwise, the signs
of wear are a kind of odometer.

Chris