Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Heavy G Heavy G is offline

Default atx power supply

"cm" wrote in message
.. .
Hello
I would appreciate it if someone would tell me how to test an atx power
supply with digital volt meter. (how to rig the atx plug to turn on the
supply so I can check it)
Thanks a bunch,
flubber

On the atx connector theres a green wire. take a paperclip or small piece of
wire, push it into the hole of the green wire, and then to any of the black
wires. the unit will turn on. you can check the voltages, remember, yellow
wires should be +12v red +5v and I believe orange is -5v. but. to properly
test a ATX supply, you should get a ATX tester. it can test it for you. and
without any load on the ps, it will be hard to diagnose any voltage
problems. by itself the voltages might look fine but when actually under
load, they can be way off. when ti is under load it should still be within
the tolerance for + and - if it isnt then its time to replace it. if the
voltages are under while running the hardware normally, you could do damage
to it. same if they are over beyond tolerance.

ive lost a hard drive due to a faulty PS over voltage damaging the drive. so
better to be safe than sorry. maybe someone else here has alot more
experience with testing them to be able to offer other suggestions.