Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Suggestions for "Beginners Tools/Library"? Christmas Gifts

Thu, Oct 19, 2006, 4:39am (EDT-3) (jk) doth plaintevly
queryeth:
What books or tools would you suggest for a beginners library or
woodworking shop? snip No really good books though. Assume that the
budget is $400.

I have absolutely no idea in the world what you're interested in,
so no way I could recommend any books for you. I'd say frequent your
local library. It'll save you money, and if you find a book you really
want to own, you can go shopping for one. I've got a pretty extensive
library, certainly a better collection of books on wood and woodworking
books than the local library. A sizeable portion of them I've got from
used bookstores, some in as new condition, most around $5, some more,
some less. New bookstores are only for finding a book you like, then
you go on line, or a used bookstore, and get a used copy. However, most
of t he books in new bookstores I'd only own if someone gave them to me
- the only real reason I visit them is to check the magane section.
There's absolutely nothing like thumbing thru a book before you buy it,
to decide if you actually want to buy it. I only buy books on-line
unless I actually know what their content is, or have a good idea. I do
NOT buy a book simply because someone else recommends the book.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax