Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP EricP is offline

Default Toilet waste pipe - floor mounted!

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:31:18 +0100, guv wrote:

On 20 Oct 2006 10:16:56 -0700, wrote:
snip

Any helpful advise appreciated.

They are called P trap and S trap bogs.

You have an S trap and all the new ones are P trap.

I thought you guys were having a laugh here by talking about P's and
S's! Ho hum! ;-)

No, it's the shape of the bends in them. down, around, up, around, and
down: S trap

Down, around, up, and straight away. P trap. )

True, but if you put a swan-neck 90 degree connector on, you end up
with one that works like an s-trap. Different toilets have the
connection at different distances from the wall. A Roca senso compact
for instance includes a swan neck connector which goes into the floor
about 150mm from the wall (to the middle of the pipe). If you get a
back-to-the-wall toilet with a concealed cistern, you can build a small
boxed in half-wall behind to take the cistern, and make it whatever
size you need to put the pipe in the right place. I use roca laura btw
toilets with grohe cisterns.

Cheers for that. I had thought about using a closed coupled loo that I
could create a false wall to accomodate. The problem with this is the
fact it is a fully tiled room and have no spares. It would look rather
odd!

I will probably just get the thing replaced with like for like. So I
should be asking for an S trap loo?

Yep.

SInce I will also be tiling the floor, is the raising of the floor by
a cm or so, going to cause any problem with the connection to the
waste by being raised slightly?

Not with an S trap. The outlet should go down to the floor to base
level, and if not, every shed has an adapter for about £5. (White
thing like a drainpipe joint with rubber fins inside it.)