Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] auctions@sheldononline.co.uk is offline

Default Toilet waste pipe - floor mounted!

EricP wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:34:44 +0100, guv wrote:

In my downstairs loo, we wish to replace the existng WC and do
something to cover the clay waste pipe and enable floor tiling to take
place.

We currently have a non coupled WC/Cistern, which I am assuming will
have to be the same - unless we created a false wall to hang the
cystern, or dig up and move the exisitng.

So a relatively easy question....

That is the best way to replace the loo and is there anything in
particular (ie a name) that I need to ask for? Everywhere I look, all
I ever see are WCs with waste pipes coming out to meet a wall. The
exisiting one has an upsidedown U bend to take it to the floor - with
no flexability.

I am obviously also concerned about removing this pipe - since
damagiing the exisiting clay fitting, is likely to be expense (I would
think!)

Any helpful advise appreciated.

They are called P trap and S trap bogs.

You have an S trap and all the new ones are P trap.

True, but if you put a swan-neck 90 degree connector on, you end up
with one that works like an s-trap. Different toilets have the
connection at different distances from the wall. A Roca senso compact
for instance includes a swan neck connector which goes into the floor
about 150mm from the wall (to the middle of the pipe). If you get a
back-to-the-wall toilet with a concealed cistern, you can build a small
boxed in half-wall behind to take the cistern, and make it whatever
size you need to put the pipe in the right place. I use roca laura btw
toilets with grohe cisterns.