Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default Porcelain floor tiles

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think the answer lies in what is meant by porcelain.

To me porcelain is a fine delicate ceramic,usually white, from which
dainty and fragile teas sets are made. And possibly toilets and basins.
And is totally unsuitable as a flooring.

Ceramic, is a material used because its tough and strong and goes in the
business end of jet engines ;-)

Then there is terra cotta, earthenware, brick, quary tiles, natural
stone tiles, and so on ad nauseam.

Before you even get to the galze, which is 99.99% of the wear capability
of the tile.

Ah, but porcelain tiles are quite well defined, they are quite different
from glazed ceramic tiles.

With a ceramic tile, you have a baked-clay body, with a thin vitreous
layer on top. With porcelain tiles, they are fully vitrified - there is
no top glaze. They are also totally non-porous.

As for the OP - that price is amazing. If they are really porcelain
(easy enough to tell if you have samples) snap it up. We paid around
£30/sqm for similar tiles in blue.

--
Grunff