Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Porcelain floor tiles

guv wrote:
Ive decided to lay tiles in our hallway, downstairs loo, kitchen and
utility room all in the same tile design.

I have been looking at Porcelain tiles, purely because they are meant
to be much tougher and less likely to crack if something was every
dropped on them.

Having looked in a few tile shops, I note the huge variation in prices
(as expected), but also that porcelain is very much more expensive
than ceramics.

With this in mind, I was intriuged by something I spotted on ebay:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2381620E

I have contacted the seller (who has a shop on ebay, shop in Epsom and
warehouse in Gravesend) and he has sent me a sample of the tile shown
in that link and a few others.

One thing that struck me, was they seemed slightly thinner than I had
expected (probably about 7 or 8 mm) and surprisingly light. (Having
said that, the samples were only small peices, not full tiles.)

Looking on the back of the tiles, they were ridged, like I would
expect on ceramics. Is that normal? All the porcelain tiles I have
seen, look like they could be laid either way round! (Though there
probably is a correct side - thats just a quick observation!)

The tiles also seem to originate from China.

Does it look like I should avoid these? (I have to say, I like the
price)

I dont want to regret a purchase, but Im guessing as long as they lay
ok and behave themselves once down, whats likely to go wrong?

A dilema! I'm fully aware of the "get what you pay for" ideal,
but.......

I think the answer lies in what is meant by porcelain.

To me porcelain is a fine delicate ceramic,usually white, from which
dainty and fragile teas sets are made. And possibly toilets and basins.
And is totally unsuitable as a flooring.

Ceramic, is a material used because its tough and strong and goes in the
business end of jet engines ;-)

Then there is terra cotta, earthenware, brick, quary tiles, natural
stone tiles, and so on ad nauseam.

Before you even get to the galze, which is 99.99% of the wear capability
of the tile.