Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Humming sound coming from an exterior wall

wrote in message
ups.com...

HELP! I'm at the end of my string!! We have been struggling with a
sound that we hear in our wall. It just happens to be the bedroom
wall...so it makes sleep difficult at times. We are hearing a humming
sound...it honestly sounds electrical. Originally, I thought I'd

Get a digital recording of this noise.
1. It will prove the sound is there and not just
inside your head (ringing in the ears.)
2. It will have a waveform that you can analyse
on a home computer (frequency, volume in
decibels etc.) People who know noise may
be able to recognize if it resembles something else.
3. You can compare waveforms recorded at
various points inside and outside the wall, at
various heights above ground etc. Differences
may suggest
3-1 whether the noise is constant or varies: e.g.
hum from an electrical panel would be confident
whilel hum from a refrigerator compressor would
stop and restart as the fridge cycles off and on;
3 - 2 whether the noise originates inside your house
or outside.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs