Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default house wired without separate ground - problem?

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:

but the receptacles installed on the first and second floor are
grounding type and it appears that the ground is provided by a jumper at
each receptacle between the ground terminal and the neutral. I realize
that *theoretically* this is functionally identical,

No, it isn't, not even theoretically. This makes it possible for the chassis
of any piece of equipment plugged into the outlet to become electrically live,
and it's not at all safe.

but this isn't the
way we do things now, so it bothers me a little bit.

Should bother you _a_lot_.

questions:

1) is this actually an acceptable method of retrofitting receptacles to
grounded type? I suspect not, but you never can tell.

No way.

2) if not, is this the kind of thing that would generally be covered by
a home warranty? We did spend the $$ for one, although AFAIK it
generally only covers things like appliances etc.

No.

--
Regards,