Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance
RBM RBM is offline

Default house wired without separate ground - problem?

Things like computers "need" to be grounded

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It is not correct to wire outlets in that fashion, and I wouldn't expect
your home warranty to cover it, because it's not "broken" or something

that
broke down, just improperly wired outlets. For people protection you can
install GFCI outlets, but it doesn't help for equipment that needs to be
grounded, for that you'll need to run grounded cables to those locations

What equipment "needs" to be grounded?

You may find that today the answer is: not much!

Most audio/visual stuff (TVs, Stereos) doesn't have a ground.

I have a window A/C that has a GFCI built into the plug (which does have a
ground). But there isn't a ground wire to the case of the A/C.