Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Suggestions for "Beginners Tools/Library"? Christmas Gifts

Tim wrote:

Forget about books; you can get more than you need at the library for free.

Along with free videos and DVD's! My local library can also obtain
items from other libraries upon request. A great resource, that library
card!

That said, there are a few books that are beyond handy to have on hand
all the time for quick reference. I can also write notes in them and
highlight text. Here are my suggestions, in no particular order, for
three books that are essential to own:

http://www.amazon.com/Tage-Frid-Teaches-Woodworking/dp/1561588261/sr=8-1/qid=1161344927/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5139835-3138346?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Finishing/dp/1561585920/ref=pd_sim_b_4/104-5139835-3138346?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Woodworking-Machines-Fine-Book/dp/0942391985/sr=1-11/qid=1161345014/ref=sr_1_11/104-5139835-3138346?ie=UTF8&s=books

The Duginske book is essential for keeping machines in good running
order, and has excellent usage and safety tips. The Frid books look
dated, but don't let black and white photos mask the unbelievable wealth
of simply, no BS information on the pages.

If you have a local Woodcraft or other such organization that offers
classes, a gift certificate for tuition to a "Woodworking 101" type
class would also be GREAT for a beginner. The classes will often pay
for themselves in gadgets not bought and materials not destroyed! G