Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Suggestions for "Beginners Tools/Library"? Christmas Gifts

On 19 Oct 2006 04:39:50 -0700, "jk" wrote:

What books or tools would you suggest for a beginners library or
woodworking shop? I have some tools, Dewalt DW621 router, Ryobi RAS,
piece of junk table saw, etc. No really good books though.
Assume that the budget is $400. Thanks.

You'd be amazed at how handy a benchtop belt/disc sander is. Helps
with all sorts of things. A Bosch jigsaw comes in handy (avoid other
brands) if you don't have a bandsaw. Drill presses can fit the budget
nicely, and double as a drum sander if needed. Cabinet scrapers and
clamps are a must as well.

As far as books go, if you're just starting, a one-year subscription
to Woodsmith is a good way to go. They have two or three detailed
projects in each issue, and not too many tool ads to make you feel
like you're too poor to do quality work. One year is probably enough,
maybe two- after that, they start to repeat themselves fairly
shamelessly. Don't know about books- I have a couple, but kind of
regret the money I spent on them. Read the suckers once, and they've
revealed everything they're going to tell me- could have done that at
the library.