Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright Wayne Boatwright is offline

Default Cheesecloth-like layer on walls

Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:50:03a, elanamig meant to say...

Hello, group,

We are buying a house that has wallpaper everywhere imaginable. In one
room however, only one wall had wallpaper, and the other three had some
kind of cheesecloth layer. This is a 1960's house. I've heard that
before they'd put canvas/cheesecloth on walls to make them smoother for
wallpaper. Do you think this is it? If it is, would I remove it like
regular wallpaper or are there special techniques? Should I expect
this cheesecloth layer behind the wallpaper everywhere else? I'd like
to tear down the wallpaper and paint the walls. In the room that has
this cheesecloth stuff, should I remove it, or would the primer/paint
cover the cheesecloth texture?

Thank you,
Elana

Is this truly "cheesecloth" or is it "lining paper"? Some types of lining
paper have a fabric backing and/or surface. The purpose of using it is to
provide a smoother surface for conventional wallpaper application on top of
it. Generally, the lining paper is applied over the wall surface using a
vinyl adhesive. It is then coated with sizing as one would do to a
conventional wall surface before applying the finish wallpaper. Lining
paper is very useful for covering cracked walls, grooved wood paneling,
etc., when wallpaper is desired. It definitely does not provide a good
surface for painting, unless you are planning on using a textured paint.
The fabric texture will show through ordinary paint.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Double your drive space - delete Windows!