Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Cheesecloth-like layer on walls

elanamig wrote:
Asked the owners at the closing today what their walls were made of,
and they said - plasterboard, which, as I read right now, is the same
thing as drywall... So, if they're correct, why on earth would they
put cheesecloth over drywall???

Probably because they really don't know. Many homeowners have no idea
what their walls are like, even if they've lived there for 10 years or more.

Anyway, we're going to try to pull some wallpaper/cheesecloth stuff off
to see what's behind it... Somehow it seemed like such an easy
project, and now I'm dreading it.

Anyway, my suggestion is to go with the 3/8 as you will not have as good
a chance of it flexing and snapping on you while you put it up or
transport it. A hint for your inspection - check the ceiling as well,
its probably drywall or could even be plaster over a solid wood ceiling.

Older homes could be such a pleasure to renovate if the previous owners
weren't such lousy shade tree "handy men."

--
Grandpa