Posted to alt.home.repair
elanamig elanamig is offline

Default Cheesecloth-like layer on walls

Philip Edward Lewis wrote:
GoHabsGo writes:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

[...]
I stand corrected. Pretty soon they'll be making houses out of paper
alone!

heh...
I've heard of 1/4" being used in a few ways:
1: dampen two layers and ease into curves for arched application.
2: use as replacement "scratch" coat where you plaster over the entire
wall.
3: Bulking up 1/2 drywall for fire/sound proofing
4: evening out a badly damaged/cracked but stabilized wall.

I'm sure there are other uses.

I don't think anyone is considering using a single 1/4" layer as an
exclusive wall covering!

We're considering 1/4" drywall to cover up existing wallpaper if it
cannot be removed.