Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Need Kitchen Sink suggestions ?

In article .com, " wrote:
I have had white enamel on cast iron in many homes with no problems.
Occasionally, in my well-traveled renter days, I would get an enamel on
cast iron sink that had a chip in the enamel, so apparently that can
happen, but I have never managed to chip one no matter what I dropped
on it, so don't know how the previous residents managed to pull that
off.

Sadly, that's not my experience. I've found that slight touches
from a metal pan can leave marks that are moderately hard to
remove. Certainly not impossible to remove but an inconvenience
nevertheless.

More recently, I created a chip of several square inches simply
by pouring some hot (near boiling) water into the sink. There was
a loud "ping" and I found several large "flakes" of enamel had
detached from the cast iron. I was not a happy camper at that
point.

I've also had many stainless steel sinks and actually, based on my
experience, find them no harder and no easier to maintain -- just
different.

I've always found SS easy to clean. My caffeine problem does
lead to some slight staining which is soon eliminated with a
little bleach once a month or so. I figure that also helps
to disinfect the waste disposal and P-trap.

Currently, I have a bathroom sink made of Corian (the vanity top and
sink are one seamless piece) and have found it scratches readily. Not
big, deep gouges, but it takes more care than I would have expected
(based on Corian's advertising, having had no prior experience with it)
to avoid fine scratches. That's the one sink material I've had that I
wouldn't recommend.

I agree. Corian is certainly a neat material but I don't think
it's sufficiently durable for kitchen sinks. At least, not one
that is subject to all of the abuse a large family will throw
at it.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |