Posted to rec.woodworking
david blumberg david blumberg is offline

Default 3 inch pattern bit? Curved chair parts

nice chair backs! how did you index or reference the angles for the
mortises in the rails for the spindles? small wedges? Looks like you
used a router. I have a Delta mortiser I used on my other chairs, and
it turned out OK, but not totally precise. probaly a smoother curve
profile would have helped...

It's a good bet it will. Anything that will improve the quality of your
bandsaw cuts will improve the quality and ease of getting useable parts in
less time and with less waste.

A good sharp, top quality resaw blade in a well tuned bandsaw (I use a 1/2"
to cut radii in the 20" range on my older 14" Delta), and carefully cutting
as close as possible to a thin line, while still leaving the line, works
well for me on curved parts.

Besides a well tuned bandsaw, there is little doubt that technique also
plays a large part in getting a consistently smooth cut, witness Sam
Maloof's use of the tool.

When cutting chair back rails, I try to cut with the curves always oriented
in the same direction, while taking care that I am using the same one hand
for feeding the stock, and the other for guiding the cut, so that muscle
memory comes into play. For me, being consistent in these two things means I
get a better feel for, and can anticipate any blade wandering.

I find that with a little practice/warm-up on waste of the same thickness, I
generally need very little cleanup and sanding of parts ... certainly in
much less time than with the fuss of jigging up for a pattern bit on the
router table, and with the following being an example of the results:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh20.JPG