Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

boorite wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
On 18 Oct 2006 11:17:26 -0700, "boorite" wrote:

I didn't buy it, but I have had the frustrating experience of using one
of the new B&D jigsaws with the plastic wheel for locking down the
baseplate, which completely ruins the tool. A wing nut would be vastly
better.

How could they "ruin" a B&D jigsaw? I've got one I bought a few years
ago for a one-off job, and it is the most useless POS there ever was.
Can't wreck something that is already broken beyond repair.

It makes the blade go up and down, which I suppose would make it able
to cut something, if the stupid footplate would stay put.

I used a B&D jigsaw until I replaced it with a Bosch. The B&D was a
definite POS. It had a thumbscrew that held the blade in and
reciprocated with it. If you put your finger on the footplate to try to
guide the cut and keep the saw from vibrating off the work, every once
in a while, as soon as you let your guard down, that GD thumbscrew
would smash you right in the finger nail. I hated that tool.

In comparison, the Bosch is like a fine surgical instrument. It cuts
smooth and true and is totally easy to control. Mine is an older model
and was made in Switzerland. I am not sure if they are still made there
and if the quality is still as good, but this is a great tool.

Chuck