Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Top of joists notched out for CH pipes

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I have just lifted some floorboards to replace them and have
discovered that someone has previously notched out the top of several
joists to accommodate some CH pipes in a first floor bedroom.

I know this is a difficult question to answer but can anyone tell me
how I find out if this is a serious problem and what can be done about
it. The house is a 1960's semi if that's any use.

I guess I'll need to measure the sizes of the joists and their
spacing, which I will do when the kids aren't in bed!

TIA, Mark

Check it out here
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres...g107780A02.pdf

But dont worry too much if they arent exactly to this spec, it probably
doesnt mean theyre gonna fail, my house has notches and drill holes way
beyond the given spec and its as solid as a rock!
I've had to comply with regs on the extension though as it's under
building regs