Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Cheesecloth-like layer on walls

First you may want to open up a small hole in the wall the ensure that there
are boards behind the wallpaper and to determine if there is insulation. If
no insulation you may want to take steps to either open up the wall to
insulate or drill holes in each cavity to blow in insulation or have foam
injected.

If the walls are truly wooden boards with multiple paper/cloth coatings,
then I would drywall over the whole lot. This will cover the holes made for
insulation. If there is crumbling plaster, particularly plaster reinforced
with horsehair that is decaying, you may want to strip down to the frame
where insulating and vapor barrier will be an easy installation.

"elanamig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Also,
Should we just save ourselves the time and put up drywall over the
wallpaper, or do we need to remove the wallpaper/cheesecloth anyway,
for hygenic or other reasons?