Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Kitchen Sink suggestions ?

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
grinder wrote:
We are replacing kitchen sink with new drop-in, plain white but can't
decide which type of material to purchase. We want a sink that is
easy to clean and will resist scratches and marks.

We find several types of materials, all of which brag about their
great finish but would like opinions from actual users. We have a RO
unit so must have at least 5 holes cut in the sink for
connecting faucets etc. Can all materials be drilled for these
connections?

We have been told that enamel on cast iron is tough but will show a
mark whenever a pan is placed in the sink??

Other materials show less marks but are subject to scratches??

All opinions and help appreciated.

13 years ago I went through the same data gathering. I ended up getting
a white porcelain on cast iron sink from Kohler. It has held up fine but
we do have to scour it once in a while. Note: the first one that arrived
had a corner smashed, so inspect carefully.

I was cautioned about getting stainless steel because it attracts dirt and
grease and needs to be cleaned often. My GF insisted that I not get
stainless appliances because of the cost and cleaning.

Comparing a stainless sink to stainless appliances makes no sense.
Appliances are harder to BE HAPPY with because you cannot clean them in
exactly the same way as a stainless sink, so you may end up with streaks.
(Rubbing alcohol's the trick, by the way). But, stainless sinks do not
"attract dirt and grease". That's silly.

Also, I am happy with the uneven double sinks. However, apparently wooden
cutting boards are no longer available. Some health nazi decided bacteria
might grow on them. (I'm still using a 100+ year old hardwood board my
grandmother had. Nobody has gotten sick from it as far as we know.)

Referring to store names, where have you shopped and been unable to find
wooden cutting boards?