Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default WATER HEATER BLANKET

BobK207 wrote:
RJ wrote:
Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

Modern water heaters are very well insulated.......see if you can get
the specs on your unit.

Compare the "feel" of the sheet metal on the water hear to a piece of
sheet metal sitting in the garage.

If the piece feels cold & the water is not cold then you couls probably
benefit from a blanket

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough
to keep the water hot. If the water never cycles during the night (or
day with no water use) then a blanket might not be much help

Electric heater is a different story.

And, in my town water heaters last only about 6 or 7 years because the
(well) water has corrosive chemicals in it. I assume that if the heater
had a blanket on it, that would have to be replaced at the same time.
The amount saved on fuel will not pay for the blanket.