Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Faulty TRV head or fault plumber?

"Woby Tide" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've searched around a bit but most queries regarding broken TRV's are
in reverse where the radiator is cold due to the pin being stuck. Does
it also happen in reverse? We have 3 or 4 radiators fitted with TRV's
that remain permanently hot regardless of where the TRV is set too. The
remaining radiators fitted with TRV's all work fine and can shut off
accordingly.

I guess removing all the heads to see if the pin is stuck permanently
on is first port of call but is it likely that 3 or 4 would fail with
exactly the same issue at the same time or is the whole unit likely to
need replacing as valve (or whatever restricts the flow) is broken?

(At an outside guess could the TRV's have been installed on wrong side
of radiator, but surely that would be exceptionally unlikely? They were
installed some tme in last 10 years and I think it's likely to have
been done by plumber as whole system was replaced during an extension
build so likely to have been a 'proper' plumber rather than DIY)

Fitting wrong end would not prevent the valve closing.

2 possibilities

1) plunger inside has jammed open..... remove head and test body by pushing
plunger down manually
2) Head is no longer working..... swop with one that is on another rad to
confirm

Tony