Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] auctions@sheldononline.co.uk is offline

Default Replace Plasterboard in bathroom

Ian Stirling wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
Hopefully a simple question.....
I've been attempting to remove the ceramic tiles in my bathroom, but
all I seem to be doing is removing small chunks of tiles, along with
the plasterboard itself.

I'm thinking of just ripping out the plasterboard (with tiles
attached), replacing, and tiling.

Are there any special considerations I need to think about when
replacing the existing plasterboard with regards to how to attach to
the batons, waterproofing, re-tiling etc...

No. As long as you do a decent job of tiling, and seal and grout any
cracks, ordinary board whacked up solidly is fine.

Cure those how insist that Aquapanel is the only solution, and those who
insist that nothing less than 3/4" marine ply will do..

Aquapanel is maybe 30 quid per full sheet - so maybe 100-300 quid more.

However.

There is 'moisture resistant' plasterboard for around half this, or
50-150 quid more.

This has wax impregnated into the central core, so it's significantly
better in the damp.

If you're feeling really cheap, there are alternatives - for example, a
test I did indicated that cooking foil adhered to plasterboard just fine
with PVA, and tiles adhered to that quite well with stock adhesive.

Or, just do nothing, and it'll probably work just fine.

I've been investigating this - as I'm going to be reinsulating part of
the house, which will involve replacing the plasterboard anyway.
And I was considering something that will let me easily make it
into a wet-room in the future.

Of course, putting aquapanel/... only under the tiles is considerably
cheaper.

If I was putting in a shower now, I'd certainly do it - it's well under
50 quid, for peace of mind.

For surfaces that are very occasionally sprayed - probably not.

Taking off - it'll be really surprisingly heavy!

Replacing - aquapanel is good, but harder to fit than plasterboard and
more expensive. Otherwise, tile shops sell a rubberised primer for
plasterboard which works well and is straightforward. I think it's
about £30. They do a matting to match for wet room floor tiling, but
for walls the paint on stuff is fine on its own. The one I've used is
made by BAL