Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] roger61611@yahoo.com is offline

Default Cost of electrician

Replacing the old service panel with a new one is in the several
hundred price range, including parts. I had this done 2 years ago by a
master electrician who did the job on his own time and bought the parts
thru his employer at a discount.

Unless you have some bizarre setup, you're being screwed. For example,
I'm not talking about the max size 200 amp panel with 40 circuits, just
a normal deal.

farseer wrote:
Can someone assist with helping figure out if i am being charged a fair
price

I live in a very old home and am in the process of modernizing it. I
already had some major electrical work done. The old electrical panel
box was in the basement. We kept that there and installed a new box on
the 1s floor. This controls the first and second floor. The old
panel box controls the basement and some outlets on the outside of the
house. The house also has the gas and electric meters in the basement.
i'd like to do the following:

-I'd like to replace the old panel box with a modern one in the
basement. The old panel box uses those old screw in fuses. There are
also al ot of old wires running to that box that we don't think is
being used. some are not even connected. In fact, it seems like the
electrician that installed 1st floor box also ran some wires to this
one, some of which was not connected
-I'd like to also move the utilities meters to the outside of the home.

I live in Yonkers (Westchester), New York. Can anyone give me an
idea what a job like this would cost me? One electrician that comes
highly recommended stated that this type of work would run me around
$3k, but is willing to do it for me for $2100. He says it is a full
day job.

thanks much