Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Delta mortiser question

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00
-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping.
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine
doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and
I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is
suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is
to raise. Thanks, Mike

from the ones I have used (not your specific model) the operating lever
should require a minimum of force to raise or lower the machine with no
material in place.

the machine I used tended to raise the mechanism if you let go of the
handle , rather like a drill press.

If the motor is hard to raise I suggest you recheck your parts list and
assembly.