Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plywood for utility trailer.

In article . com,
Robatoy wrote:
I couldn't resist. Gloatable. HAD to buy it. All metal in excellent
condition, new(er) tires, lights, wiring all in tip-top
condition...BUT....
The previous owner had built a box from??
.
.
.
wait for it
.
.
.
flake board. (OSB without the nice binders..like cheap, aspenite)
It appears to have started out at 3/4", now WELL over 1 1/2".. swollen
somewhat..and totally delaminated.
The whole box came apart with a snow shovel.
Now... for new material. What do we like? (No, Lew, NOT mahogany marine
ply G)

I'm open to suggestions, even those including a painted finish of some
sort. Doesn't have to be pretty.

TIA!

I bought an inexpensive 4X8 utility trailer about 2 years ago. It
required DIY deck and sides . Originally I wanted to use PT plywood
for the decki but HD I went to didn't have any. (Apparently not
as common as in the past?) Anyway, I just bought a sheet of exterior
BC yellow pine and a gallon of exterior deck stain from the "oops"
bin. Put the stain on top and bottom. At 2 years it is holding up
well, only thing I've done is touch up a few spots where cargo badly
gouged the plywood. Sorry I can't remember the brand of stain but I
believe I just selected what seemed to be the best quality from the
shelf; maybe something form Cuprinol or Olympia.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -