Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Holstein Al Holstein is offline

Default Curved chair backs- compass plane?

david blumberg wrote:
thanks, Al...

That was/is an option I am considering. My concern was having the plies
show (like plywood). Your 3 slices made how much final thickness? I
wonder how many plies I would need for a 3/4" back in cherry?

david

David

I lost the width of two or three bandsaw cuts. I plies show less than
plywood because the grain is all in the same direction and is
consistent with the next piece only off set by what the curve changes
the angle. You would need to start with pieces that were longer than
the finished to cut off when you trim them. You might want to start
with the back piece being thicker than 3/4" to get 3/4" as the finished
thickness.

Good luck with your project.

Al